African countries, with their diverse resources, burgeoning potential for renewable energy, and rich pool of human capital, face significant challenges in accessing affordable financing and making progress across various sectors. The continent finds itself at a crucial juncture, grappling with pressing issues such as sustainable development, a mounting debt crisis, and the imperative transition towards a greener future. However, the current geopolitical landscape presents the opportunity for a stronger partnership between Canada and Africa, supported by concrete and sustainable action, particularly in the areas of development finance and investments.
On January 30, AKFC and ONE Campaign in Canada are hosting an event to outline and discuss how Canada can play a more prominent role in shaping an inclusive international financial ecosystem to address climate change and development, as well as deepen investments and engagement with African countries, benefiting both Africa and the global economy.
At this event, we hope to:
- Convene stakeholders, allies, and partners to review and discuss the status of Canada’s position within the international development and climate finance landscape
- Socialize the powerful narrative that advocates for the timely mobilization of low-cost finance toward Africa. This includes addressing issues such as climate, health, decent jobs, food security, pandemic preparedness and recovery, and overall development
- Discuss options for a long-term increase in Canada’s investment in Africa, and how Canada can be a champion of Multilateral Development Bank reforms and expansion to address urgent development needs and the climate crisis.
- Explore how FinDev could play an expanded role in Canada’s Africa Strategy, and assess Canada’s progress around innovative and blended finance.
- Chris Clubb
Managing Director – Convergence
- James Irungu Mwangi
Executive Director, Dalberg Group and Founder, Climate Action Platform for Africa
- Nancy Lee
Senior Policy Fellow and Director of Sustainable Development Finance – Center for Global Development
- Pranay Samson
Director, Innovative Finance – Plan International Canada
- Stanley Achonu
Nigeria Country Director – ONE Campaign
- Tyler Meredith
Senior Fellow Munk School of Global Affairs & Public Policy – Munk school University of Toronto
Additional speakers will be announced in the coming weeks.
Key Information for Attendees :
- When you register, please indicate your interest in attending in-person at the Delegation of the Ismaili Imamat or attending online (Zoom) by selecting the relevant ticket option.
- In-person attendees are invited to arrive by1:30 p.m. EDT to network and enjoy light refreshments.
Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.orgRegister